Monday, December 20, 2010

Day 14 - 20th Dec, 2010

I had a sleep in today! First time in a while - many weeks. If you are a new dad for the first, or subsequent time, I highly recommend getting a sleepin when ever you can. I felt like I had energy today, particularly this morning. Since I am a night person I am awake at night (der!), but struggle without several cups of coffee in the morning. Add sleep deprivation to that and it's not a pretty sight!

We have continued the basics with Anneliese. Having spent a large portion of the day out of the house I have not shown her the B&W presentation I made. I might fix that directly, as she is awake for the next hour or so.

This morning I gave her some more tummy time and held my hands behind her feet so she can push herself along. At this stage of the game it is very much a reactionary movement, but she needs to learn what the effect of pushing with her feet will have. The mobility aspect of it helps increase blood flow, increase muscle strength and helps develop the sense of self. Apparently. It makes sense to me and it is what my wife is saying as she walks around the house! You can read her blog here intellikidsdownunder.blogspot.com . She has read a lot of books on early learning and is quite knowledgeable on the subject.

Anneliese is almost 2 weeks old and is starting to change her habits. Her feeds are starting to become more spaced out (we got 5.5 hours last night between feeds - BLISS!!) and she is starting to spend a bit more time awake. This is great because I can sing, play and generally spend time with her more. She can also watch what I do.

When I doing things around the house I try to involve Anneliese (and the eldest) as much as possible. For example when I am doing the dishes I place her in the bouncer on the bench so she can see exactly what I am doing. I then talk to her about what I am doing and why I am doing it. This gets a bit repetitive night after night, dad after day, but I believe it helps Anneliese makes sense of the world around her and helps her understand that (in this case) cleaning is one of the things that we all have to do. I did the same with my eldest. I got her involved in assembling furnisher (see pic), or what ever it is I was doing at the time to keep her involved.



It also helps build a bond between father and child, and this is extremely important to me and has been shown to improve the quality of life for the child.

No comments:

Post a Comment