Thursday, February 10, 2011

Toilet training… So Far

Well it started in earnest last Friday. We were told by day care that Sophia had gone to the toilet twice during the day and that she was ready for toilet training. So we started with the terry towelling knickers, pulled out the book “Lo Lo’s Loo” and started engaging her with coloured toilet water:
  •  Blue food dye goes green
  •  Red food dye goes orange
But alas we have had nothing but accidents. By Wednesday my wife had had enough and called it off. Sophia was argumentative and refusing to even sit on the toilet. She has also regressed a little – she has said on more than one occasion “I want to be a baby”. Cute, but frustrating.



This desire to become a baby again I think is stemming from the fact that her sister is a baby (2 mo) and Sophia is perhaps jealous of the attention that Anneliese is getting, particularly from my wife. The plus side is that regression is usually a sign that she is about to make a significant leap forward. Apparently this theory has some scientific basis –I have not searched for hat proof, and nor am I likely to  - but it is certainly a truth from my experience with Sophia.

This is one of the reasons why I wanted to continue with the toilet training. At some point it will all click and she’ll start using the toilet at home etc… and I think persistence is important. However so is my wife’s sanity, and so we wait….

No comments:

Post a Comment